Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Last Blog

The article Appropriating English, Expanding Identities, and Re-Visioning the Field: From TESOL to Teaching English for Glocalized Communicatioin (TEGCOM) by A. Lin, et. al was very relevant to me right now.  It mentioned how in China, people are not motivated to learn English, because it is not something that they use everyday, and English is obviously not the primary language used in China.  In my other TESOL class, I am currently in the process of writing a paper on motivation in second language learning, and I learned that motivation is the second most important factor when learning a language.  I can relate to the people in China, because when I learned Spanish in middle school and high school, I was completely unmotivated to do it.  I knew that I would never live in a Spanish speaking country, and I just wasn't good at learning a second language.  Trying to acquire a language by sitting in a classroom is probably one of the hardest ways to do so, because for me, for instance, my only motivation was my grades and the requirement needed to graduate.  I think it is important for a teacher to make the learning as fun as possible and always switch up the curriculum in order to keep the students involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment